Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:54 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

I know this is a 'shot in the dark' but there was a build on how to make a corsair tail wheel called "Making The Scale Tail Wheel!'
The article was for a large gas powered plane.
I saved the web but it's no longer in existence.
I also do not know his name.
It was posted in 2003.
Any help would be appreciated.
Here's the now defunct web site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~deadlift/_wsn/page3.html
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
samparfitt

Default RE: Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Here's a couple of the final pictures that I saved:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24863.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	873948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79807.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	873949  
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
ReaperGrim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be me. Old name DionysusBacchus, let me know what you need. This was not for a large Corsair, only 1/8 scale but it's the same material and design that Earl Aune used on his 1/6 Corsair. I've seen them used on up to the Ziroli size Corsair, but I would beef it up in places. Up to 1/6 scale they work great though.

Luke

Name:	Ig12303.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	873950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11160.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	873951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36884.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	873952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24158.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	873953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb35823.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	873954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88551.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	873955  
Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 PM
samparfitt

Luke,
Cool, I found you.
That was a great thread that you did in 2003.
I got a buddy wanting to build a Corsair tail wheel.
Do you still have a web site or thread that has all the details of the build?
If not, then at least some good pictures of the demensional drawings of the parts and the verbal description.
thanks,
Old 02-09-2008, 04:47 PM
SMUGator

Luke, the drawings you shared with me were invaluable. If you don't mind having them posted, or shared it would be great to make them available.

Tom
Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 PM
JimoCooper

Hi. Here is one I built from 1/8th plywood, for a Kyosho Corsair (roughly the size of the Top Flite 60 size). I have a set of Brian Taylor 1/6 corsair plans, and I reduced the tailwheel plan down to size for this airplane. It is an amazingly sturdy design and very scale in appearance....if you don't have the capability to braze...this one is simply epoxied together.

Brian Taylor plans are reasonable...may even find a set someone wants to sell a set.

Jim

Name:	Rp43991.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	874130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72209.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	874131  
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
v6goose

Luke!

ReaperGrim indeed

How are ya me old mate... glad to see your still around.

I dont think I got to see the finished Corsair pix, if you wouldnt mind I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see 'em...

Been busy myself... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6457176/tm.htm

Ah good times abound in rcu...

Goose
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Luke,
I am big fan of you and I followed your build util you got mad of some members and stop your website, big disapointment for me, I was wondering if I can get some pics of finished plane
Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
ReaperGrim

Sam, Sent you a PM, wondering if you got it? I may post some pictures of a new tail wheel build, you want to turn this into a build thread and build along with me? What scale are you doing, 1/6? Let me know what you are up to and when you want to start.

Tom, Glad you could use my drawings, post some pictures of what you did and how you did it! I’m not going to post my drawings though, I give them out to those that may be able to use them.

Jim, Great looking tail wheel, I have the Brian Taylor drawings and it looks pretty good. I’m not sure if it would be easy to attach a functional tail wheel using his method. I just started using PC board material and fell in love with it, it’s very strong and light.

Hi Goose, I’ve not been too active in ye old hobby until just recently, I’d say a month or so ago I started flying again after several years off. It’s been great and I’m glad to see you so busy! Keep up the great work!

Foxx, I appreciate that very much, but I’m not mad or anything though. Some people did get angry about my scale observations, I just keep those to myself unless I’m asked! Also, people just get busy with other things and like I said I quit the hobby recently for a while, I didn’t do anything with my models all last year.
I will have a nice selection of planes to fly this spring, and one of them will be my Royal Corsair! I’m also finishing my CMP Hellcat, VQ Black Widow ARC and Top Flite P-51B just to name a few!

So, for those that are interested in seeing my scratch built Royal/Marutaka Corsair, here are the finished pictures with the final clear coat added.

Name:	Jh14753.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	876909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54453.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	876910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96474.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	876911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35068.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	876912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57423.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	876913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91742.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	876914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac64489.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	876915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl40401.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	876916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Db55628.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	876917  
Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
samparfitt

Luke,
Never got any emails ([email protected]).
A friend is building a Corsair and I was getting the info for him.
Nice work on the Corsair: flaps, working main/tail doors, working canopy, full cockpit detail, nav lights, trim tabs, antenna & masts and something you rarely see...the foot step in the right flap!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
US185Damiani

Luke Man that Bird is as exquistite as I remember.
Fantastic!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 PM
v6goose

Luke...

That is awesome my friend, congrats and... welcome back!

Yep, I'm plenty busy with a TF, you know, glue on a massive block, sand off everything that doesnt look like a plane... repeat... haha!

Last wood kit for me...

Thinking about a 1/4 scale F4U with the works, just a dream right now, but dreams dont always stay that way...

Whats next for you mate?

Later

Goose
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Luke perfect timing I am going to build another 1/6th Corsair TF Kit and wanted to build a tailwheel for it. My friend Doug bought one of yours that you built and it looks perfect. Was going to try and see how you did it but if you are going to do a build thread that couldn't be better. I have the PC board ready to go. Your instructions on the Hellcat one worked out great and have recieved several compliments on it. Let the build begin.

Randy
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 AM
SVX

Welcome back Luke. That Corsair belongs in a museum I swear. Hey any pics of the Mustang? I too am building the TF B model though struggling to get it finished. Good to see you, SVX
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
ReaperGrim

Sent another email Sam, let me know if you get it!

Thanks Mike, you are way to kind! Hey, my boy plays the Trombone! Cool instrument!

“Last wood kit for me…†LOL Goose you are funny, yea with all these ARF’s and things around who wants to spend hours sanding a block of wood? She is going to be a beauty though and it will be all worth it when you are done. Keep those dreams going on the Corsair, what ¼ scale Corsair did you have in mind?

SVX, thanks man and thanks for the compliment on the old Corsair! I have had my TF Mustang project for years, I stuck it in the atick and forgot about it. It’s certainly not an all out scale job by any stretch, I just wanted something to fly on the weekends but never finished it. I did install gear doors with BVM cylinders and I have the wing glassed. I installed a full cockpit and have the fuselage ready to glass, I’m working on a mold for a Malcolm hood canopy. Maybe I’ll post some pictures on another thread. I understand how projects like this can get stuck!

Randy, That sounds great, another Corsair! You were asking what I was doing next, I didn’t think you would be doing another Corsair so soon after your last one. Sounds like this one is going to be awesome! The tail wheel will really help it’s looks a bunch and I know you will have no problem building it either, you don’t need my help! Group builds are fun though, so let’s get our disk sanders and other tools out and begin. I’ll be making two, one for myself and one for another modeler on here who is having a Byron Corsair built.

Let me get a few steps ahead and I’ll start posting pictures.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Thanks Luke, yes another Corsair want this one to be a bit more scale than the last one even though it did turn out nice. It will be easier to do some things this time without the sheeting on so the build will begin soon I hope. I have a couple of other ones that need to be finished first but I am always doing at least two projects at once anyway. Sounds good I know I could figure it out but your templates take hours of R&D off the build and that is a big relief for me. By the way I forgot how good your Corsair looks very impressive.

Randy
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
chilie

Luke

I was hoping you could offer some clarity on how the steering mechanism and shock absorber are assembled.

For example, how do you make the wheel turn if the main larger tube is welded to the support frame? Are there some internal parts that keep it all together and prevent it from falling apart?

Is the shock absorber fuctional or is it more decorative? I see that the upper and middle frame sections are jointed at one pivot point. Does that mean that the top part is designed to move with the shock abosber or does the PC board material just flex?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Luke
I too was searching for information on your Corsair build, specifically the gear door mechanism (both mains and tailwheel), as well as the scratch tailwheel build. Welcome back!
Sam (yep, another Sam).
Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
chilie

BTW to all other corsair people, I recently made a trip down to a local museum near me where they had a F4U-1A on display. Let let me get super close and take as many pictures and I wanted. I got some great shots of the tail wheel and how the fairings and doors look. If anyone needs some pictures, let me know and I'll post them.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 PM
SMUGator

Seems like there is a lot of interest in the Corsair tailwheel build from Lukes plan's. Ours is about 90% done. Just working on fabricating a fiberglass shell for the tailwheel doors and working out the activation of those. Leaning toward using throttle cable run from the extension arm on the gear. I've been away for a while, but am finding myself getting motivated to build again. Look for the few bits I think are interesting going forward on the 1/8 Mods thread started by CorsairJock. Here is a ]little video of our tailwheel in action - http://rcuvideos.com/item/K1WC5MKS2NF5X081

Tom
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
chilie

Tom that tailwheel video looks great. I hope to build mine just as nice. I'm at the point right now that I'm just compiling all the information on how to make it. I've ordered the PC board. Seems like its taking forever to get here. I'm not even at the point where I'm building the fuse, I just though I'd get a jump on it and hopefully get questions answered.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 PM
SMUGator

I got the following question via PM. "I do not understand exactly how the shock absorber is made nor how the wheel turns without it falling off."

Hopefully this video answers the question - http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/TBG0C4650DZTNXGD

Tom
Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 PM
chilie

Smug,

Thanks for the video.

I thing I understand now! I do think a little extra engineering is needed though to make it up to my standards. But all in all, its a solid design
Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 AM
SMUGator

Post your results when you get there. It's always fun to watch designs evolve.

Tom
Old 02-20-2008, 03:48 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

works for me! Good to see you back Luke, retrobates need to keep on this place hehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.