Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM
p51tom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Hi Sean,
Your tail wheel looks great. I like the air cylinder attached to the tail wheel. Makes it alot easier then fishing the pushrod though the fus each time you remove the tail wheel. Each wheel weighs a little over 5 ounces and are made for a 1/4 inch axle so I had to add bushings to the wheels. I use these wheels on my larger warbirds because they turn very easy which stops nose overs.
If you look close at my photos you can see a .025 piano wire which goes through a hole in my steering arm. This keeps the wheel centered during retraction which stops the gear from hanging up. To mount it I bent it 90 degrees then put it through the hole in the top and the steering arm then CAed it.
Good luck,
P51Tom
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
flukester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a fantastic thread. Just discovered it and I'm just starting an ESM 1/6 Corsair. I can't seem to be able to download the drawings and scale them up to 1/6 scale. Can anyone help me with the drawings?? The build thread is just great. I'm kind of a novice at scratch bulding something this cool, so please bear with me. I could definately use some help on these drawings.

Thanks in advance,,,flukester
Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
flukester

OOPS Better change the font.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
topflight-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: chilie

Yeah people still use this forum

Here are the plans that I drew up. I have made some minor modifications to the original drawings that I created (such as a different way to make the shock absorber). You can use them as you wish. When you send them to print, be sure to select ''no page scaling'' so it will print correctly.
How would you scale these to fit a Ziroli Corsair? PDF on post 93

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flukester

What a fantastic thread. Just discovered it and I'm just starting an ESM 1/6 Corsair. I can't seem to be able to download the drawings and scale them up to 1/6 scale. Can anyone help me with the drawings?? The build thread is just great. I'm kind of a novice at scratch bulding something this cool, so please bear with me. I could definately use some help on these drawings.

Thanks in advance,,,flukester
Fluke,
I used the dwgs posted and they seemed to work pretty well on my ESM Corsair. The dwgs said 1/8 scale but when I printed it seemed bigger and spot on for the corsair. It was my first attempt at doing one of these and folling the steps in the thread and some patience and it worked pretty well. Here's a couple pics of the tail wheel and the finished model. Took 2 months to put it together and pimp it out with sound, sliding canopy, and turning pilot's head. [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16802.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1566115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19950.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1566116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71607.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1566117   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54541.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1566118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32818.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1566119  
Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
chilie

You're going to have to take the plans to a photocopier place and have them blown up. I wouldn't recommend this design for much more than a 1/6th scale. I've talked to people wanting to use it on a 1/5 scale, but I make no promises. For starters, the 1/16 G-10 material is really strong, but is also thin. I don't know how it would look with it all blown up.

Secondly, the whole thing is held together with standard solder. I'm no expert so I cannot say that those joints would hold up with a 15 or 20+ pound airiplane coming down on the landing gear (even though I think 3 point landings are ghey for warbirds).

Assuming you still want to try and proceed, I would suggest you find out how large the tailwheel would have been for your scale and try to blow up the plans until you've gotten it close. Obviously all the callouts for brass sizes and what not will have to be changed accordingly.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM
flukester

Thanks Sean and Chilie. Sean, that looks great especially for first attempt. I'm going to do as Chilie suggests and give this thing a try myself. And the Corsair...what can I say...WOW. First time I've tried anything this complex, but with everybody's pics and help, if I can't do this one, might as well get away from modeling, or at least detailing! Well, here goes.

Thanks,

flukester
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
nzphil

[quote]I used the dwgs posted and they seemed to work pretty well on my ESM Corsair[/quote]
Hi Sean,
I'm getting an ESM Corsair in a couple of months time but whilst waiting want to make the tail wheel in the mean time.
Can you tell me which post has the drawings as I haven't found them after a few trawls through![sm=confused.gif]
Many thanks,
Phil
Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 AM
smchale

Phil, I can't quickly locate it, but these are what I used for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Da83367.pdf (428.9 KB, 196 views)
Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 AM
p51tom

Hi Nzphil, If you look at posts 103 & 108 they show my mock ups of the tail wheel. Post 121 shows the final sizes of the tail wheel I have been using. My design uses a more compact way of retracting the wheel then from the reference mentioned by smchale. Smhcale also added a cylinder to the tail wheel which was a nice touch.

I have had a couple flights on my Corsair and it is a great flying model. Mine came at 20.25 pounds ( 2 pounds added ) with a CG at 4.5 inchs with gear up. Hope to hear about Smchale's model and how it handled. That is one great looking Corsair.
Have a good one. P51tom
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
nzphil

Thanks guys,
I can now start sourcing the material & have something to do during our winter!!
Phil
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM
scubajohn

hi guys love this thread we are building a 1/8th tf corsair and want to build a scale tail wheel i see a few changes what is the best for the 1/8th scale
thanks in advance
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: scubajohn

hi guys love this thread we are building a 1/8th tf corsair and want to build a scale tail wheel i see a few changes what is the best for the 1/8th scale
thanks in advance

One thing you don't want to do is mount anything that is not needed in the tail of a Corsair, 1 oz of extra weight in the tail means 8 oz in the nose. Keep the air cylinder just behind the firewall. This is especially critical if you are doing the 1/8 Corsair.

It's very peculiar that the drawings would call for a brass tube as a tail hook, this should be aluminum with a balsa end hook.

If you ever want to make the drive to the Canyon Lake Aero Modelers field http://www.nacoma.cc/Clams/index.htm I can show you a 1/8 tail wheel and how it should be done. I don't like the pinched brass shock shown on most of the copies, the machined aluminum functional shock works very well.

Luke

Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 PM
nzphil

Hi Guys,
Back again!
From this thread & the build one I've been preparing my 'shopping list'
As the Corsair will sport either an RAF or RNZAF squadron markings & a cockpit kit from Ty I need a full body british pilot.
I've found that Century Jets do them at various scales at a reasonable price but which scale to get??[sm=confused.gif]
As the ESM Corsair is 1.66 to 1 which will look more correct the 1/6 or the 1/7??[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
BTW Shaun, can I use the tail wheel drawings you kindly sent me as they are or do I have to adjust them at all. Have got the pc board & can now start cutting[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Cheers,
Phil
Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: nzphil

Hi Guys,
Back again!
From this thread & the build one I've been preparing my 'shopping list'
As the Corsair will sport either an RAF or RNZAF squadron markings & a cockpit kit from Ty I need a full body british pilot.
I've found that Century Jets do them at various scales at a reasonable price but which scale to get??[sm=confused.gif]
As the ESM Corsair is 1.66 to 1 which will look more correct the 1/6 or the 1/7??[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
BTW Shaun, can I use the tail wheel drawings you kindly sent me as they are or do I have to adjust them at all. Have got the pc board & can now start cutting[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Cheers,
Phil
Just so you know, I am the one that did the original build on this thread, to make a long story short RCU reopened my old account and closed my other account.

For the ESM Corsair part "A" on the plans below will have to be printed at 95mm to be the correct scale for your plane.

My personal opinion would be to go with the larger pilot, just stick a GI Joe doll in there and see how it looks, then if it looks to big go with the smaller one.

Name:	Gd93869.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1608261  
Old 05-14-2011, 04:25 PM
nzphil

Hi Luke,
Yes, I was aware you were the originator. I’ve read, many times, all the threads I can find on all the forums on building the YT/ESM/KMP Corsair. I must congratulate you on your thinking “outside the box†& coming up with the double sided PC board which is so simple to solder to.
I can easily scale part A up to the correct scale by importing the drawings into Corel Draw & increase it to the 95mm length. I assume that all the parts on that drawing are to be increased & not just part A? Do the sizes of the Tail wheel assembly / shock absorber remain the same?
As far as the pilot size goes unfortunately, being in New Zealand, I cannot get a GI Joe here to try for size. Mostly we have to mail order from US, Hong Kong or Singapore to source 90% of our scale modelling requirements so we try to get the right size first time as postage, particularly from US, is a tad on the expensive side![sm=cry_smile.gif]
Anyway, thanks very much for sharing your knowledge & experience with me & the rest of the people that follow this forum.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Phil
Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: nzphil

Hi Luke,
Yes, I was aware you were the originator. I’ve read, many times, all the threads I can find on all the forums on building the YT/ESM/KMP Corsair. I must congratulate you on your thinking “outside the box†& coming up with the double sided PC board which is so simple to solder to.
I can easily scale part A up to the correct scale by importing the drawings into Corel Draw & increase it to the 95mm length. I assume that all the parts on that drawing are to be increased & not just part A? Do the sizes of the Tail wheel assembly / shock absorber remain the same?
As far as the pilot size goes unfortunately, being in New Zealand, I cannot get a GI Joe here to try for size. Mostly we have to mail order from US, Hong Kong or Singapore to source 90% of our scale modelling requirements so we try to get the right size first time as postage, particularly from US, is a tad on the expensive side![sm=cry_smile.gif]
Anyway, thanks very much for sharing your knowledge & experience with me & the rest of the people that follow this forum.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Phil
Thanks, but the idea for the PC board is not mine, it's been in use for many years by others like Dave Platt, Earl Aune and many others. I like using it and have built many tail wheels and other things with it. Compartmentalized thinking is a big stumbling block to innovation and problem solving, most people have a love hate relationship with it.

I purchased a few $5 "GI Joe" type dolls from a store here in the States called 'Dollar General' they are very light weight because they are made so cheap, I like to use those bodies and the uniforms from the heavy expensive ones like the BBI Toys figures. I personally think the 1/6 would be fine, I've even seen the 1/6 used on the 1/8 scale TF and it looked OK. It will always look worse in my opinion to have a pilot that is to small rather than slightly larger. I'm a big guy, so maybe I'm biased! ha!

I'm not sure what plan you are using for the tail wheel but I just used that one part (A) so that you could scale up the sheet with all the parts on it. So you are correct, enlarge everything using part "A" as the reference for size.

Thank you and I'm glad you like my ramblings on here, it's fun and beneficial to all when we share our ideas. I feel the same way about many other modelers on here, some very awesome work and ideas.

Luke

Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 AM
dionysusbacchus

Just to show how versatile this stuff is and to keep you guys thinking, here is a 1/6 Zero tail wheel built very simply out of PC board material. It is based on the geometry of the Dave Platt design, but his was not made of PC board and is no longer available. I'm also building two of these for the 80" CMP Zero, one for me and one for a flying buddy.

Name:	Fd92405.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1610285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73382.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1610286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18212.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1610287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97861.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1610288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14444.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1610289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60508.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1610290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70942.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1610291  
Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 AM
77chickenhawk

i need on of these for my Zero...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: 77chickenhawk

i need on of these for my Zero...
I know you do, with all the work you are doing!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 AM
smchale

I agree with the suggestion on using a larger pilot in the Corsair. I did my ESM Corsair in a scheme pappy boyington flew so I painted up one of 'bestpilots' pappy figures and put him in. He's advertised as 1/5 scale. Maybe a little large but I think he still fits the theme nicely. Here's a video clip of a sound check in my driveway along with pappy in the cockpit, I walk in for a closer shot at the end of the clip. [8D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dwM6...layer_embedded

Name:	Hf98154.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1610307  
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
dionysusbacchus

Really nice work on your Corsair smchale, the pilot head turning reminds me of my Combat Models F-16N of the early 90's! Do you have a thread on the net where you documented your build?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
smchale

Thanks Luke, your F4U certainly added to the inspiration.
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...070&PN=1&TPN=1
Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM
p51tom

Hi Luke,
I think I have been following your builds for many years. Did you build a Royal 60 size Corsair years ago? I was very impressed with your skills. My name is P51tom on this sight but my favorite aircraft is the F4U-4 Corsair. I believe your were considering a 1/6 true scale Corsair build. I have built four Corsairs over the past 30 plus years. I started with a Royal 60 size followed by a Brian Tayor 76" WS then a Top Flight 87" WS kit. All these models had either problems with size or outline. I sold all these models and later regreted it. Therefore I wanted to get a Corsair in the air as fast as possible so I built a Kemp 75" WS Corsair. I would like to build one more Corsair with the correct size and outline. If you are going to build a 1/6 Corsair, I would love to follow your work. I am also very impressed with Sean's Kemp Corsair.
Thanks P51tom

Name:	Ay73651.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1611724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26172.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1611725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77565.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1611726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36270.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	1611727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59152.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1611728  
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM
p51tom

Luke, Sorry I loaded my Platt Spitfire by mistake.
P51tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.