Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Cold War tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cold War tanks.

Busy delivery day today.

And I decided I'm going to backdate my HL Abrams to a M1.

Now I'm just waiting for my OKMO M60.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:36 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

I miss my Leopard 1 It was the first R/C tank I owned over 35 years ago. I still have the 105mm barrel from it and just recently pulled it out of the “special” parts bin for use on an M41 upgrade build that I just completed.

Wish I could find an in the box Leoprad 1 it would be a fun trip down memory lane to build one again but this time with the skills acquired over the last 35+ years.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Maccrage

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
I miss my Leopard 1 It was the first R/C tank I owned over 35 years ago. I still have the 105mm barrel from it and just recently pulled it out of the “special” parts bin for use on an M41 upgrade build that I just completed.

Wish I could find an in the box Leoprad 1 it would be a fun trip down memory lane to build one again but this time with the skills acquired over the last 35+ years.
I managed to find this one still sealed on fleabay.

And the T-55 left the UK on Monday, and is here today in Oregon. Faaast shipping.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

That Leopard is a SCORE! Are you willing to say how much the asking price was?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Maccrage

Originally Posted by fsttanks
that leopard is a score! Are you willing to say how much the asking price was?
$600
Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Cold war tanks are cool.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Leopard 1s are cool!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Backdating the abrams isnt too hard. From what i can tell most of them got the windage sensor, that stick on the back of the turret, pretty early, but i have some photos of a firing line where half have it and half dont. All painted flat green. Also, the m1 only had a 105mm gun smaller than the m1a1.
Backdating to the m1a1 is quite easy, dont install the rear bustle rack, the apu box, or the side louver armor plates. The hard part is cutting out the round base for the camera turret to delete it. I havent yet done that to mine and may just forgo the work since I really dont care, the abrams for me is a toy compared to my shermans i considder acurate finely detailed models.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Maccrage

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Backdating the abrams isnt too hard. From what i can tell most of them got the windage sensor, that stick on the back of the turret, pretty early, but i have some photos of a firing line where half have it and half dont. All painted flat green. Also, the m1 only had a 105mm gun smaller than the m1a1.
Backdating to the m1a1 is quite easy, dont install the rear bustle rack, the apu box, or the side louver armor plates. The hard part is cutting out the round base for the camera turret to delete it. I havent yet done that to mine and may just forgo the work since I really dont care, the abrams for me is a toy compared to my shermans i considder acurate finely detailed models.
They all came equipped with the wind sensor from the beginning. It folds down for storage. And for the M1, I'd also have to change the blowout panels. M1 had 3 irregularly shaped panels instead of 2 rectangular ones.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

From what ive read, it was the intention to build the m1a1 from the start of production of the m1, it just wasnt ready so they spent 5 years perfecting the m1 design with the m1e1 prototypes to get exactly what they wanted and to be sure they wanted to spend a billion dollars on the gun upgrade.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Maccrage

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
From what ive read, it was the intention to build the m1a1 from the start of production of the m1, it just wasnt ready so they spent 5 years perfecting the m1 design with the m1e1 prototypes to get exactly what they wanted and to be sure they wanted to spend a billion dollars on the gun upgrade.
I have Hunnicutt's Abrams book. Haven't had time to read it through yet. Most of it so far has been about the failed programs before. I just got to the MBT-70. But, I can understand that. The cost of the 70 got out of hand. They were probably gun-shy about it happening again.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:22 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Original M1s had a slightly smaller turret, 3 narrow blowout panels, small toolboxes, and no port for the CITV. M1IPs included longer side bustle racks and rear bustle. Laters M1IPs had more frontal armor and larger turret. The M1E1 prototype was the first with 120mm gun and other M1A1 features. Long toolboxes, two blowout panels, and CITV port.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:29 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Fst, may have a Leo 1 still in the box. If your seriously interested can see what situation it's in? Pm me if your interested.