Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

MIBO A-10 fans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

MIBO A-10 fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIBO A-10 fans

The fans are expensive and I was wondering if they're worth getting.
Before I spend the money I'd like to get some feedback from people who have them.
I'm concerned about the engines running hot and/or loss of thrust.
Also is weight an issue?
Lastly, are they worth the money.
Thanks, any info will be greatly appreciated.
Jon
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Jon,
I've been told the fans do not have a noticeable effect on the turbines. However, due to cost/complexity/weight issues, I have been using a "poor man's" version for many years. This is how they look in flight:

They are just the nose spinners and not the full fan unit. Assuming you can still just get the nose spinners, this is how I attach mine:

Old 07-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by F106A
The fans are expensive and I was wondering if they're worth getting.
Before I spend the money I'd like to get some feedback from people who have them.
I'm concerned about the engines running hot and/or loss of thrust.
Also is weight an issue?
Lastly, are they worth the money.
Thanks, any info will be greatly appreciated.
Jon

Jon, the fans are too expensive, but worth every penny !! They become the most awesome part of the airplane.
I haven't noticed any effect on the engines performance.
Weightwise, they are not light. Need to add some nose weight, but that is irrelevant on that plane. If I recall correctly, you need to add about !/3 of its weight in the nose.
IMPORTANT: my first set disintegrated in flight (no consequences). What I did with my replacement set, was to add a couple of turns of carbon cord in the aft outher recess of the fan. I glued them with West System resin, and used small pieces of cf cord to balance the fans while the resin was still wet. Have more than 50 flights after the mod .. working perfect.
I am using a couple of Kingtech 140's on mine. The fan mounts needed some supplements to clear the starter motor. Let me know if you need more details.

Jack
Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I should be getting my mibo any day now, but having had a previous Skymaster A-10, those fans were definitely awesome. The fans would spin on the ground if there was any wind!
Old 07-14-2019, 05:58 AM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I haven’t had any trouble with the fans on my mibo. The only thing I’ve noticed is they do add a bit more drag but this bird has so much drag already that it’s a non issue. They look great on start up watching them spool up as you start it. One of my favorite things about the plane.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I just got mine.

One word: awesome!!