Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I'm building the TopRC F9F Cougar

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I'm building the TopRC F9F Cougar

Old 10-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I managed to install Power HD servos, analog. They are 60kg torque at 6V.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22209FB9-5BE3-4B5F-92B6-71E68694D3F7.jpeg
Views:	540
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2242739  
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 PM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may want to check out the kst brand servos. heli guys swear by them as a solid high torque perfect centering servo. i used them in a mini xcalibur and they were all the hv line so simple 2s battery too. in heli use they are best bang for the buck......
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Pull Up Now!

Horsefeet, your post made me read my post previous to yours. Looks like I accidentally stated the weight for the torque of those Power HD servos. The servo's weight is 60g, the torque is around 17kg/cm. This is a whopping 236 oz/in, for around $15. The same spec servo in KST is quite a bit more money though. The power HD is not a "HV" servo though, so the conservative modeler might want to use a regulator. Instead though, I just use a LIFE battery which lowers the voltage enough to gain confidence.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Saillfish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cg

Please send me exactly where you measured your CG from on the leading edge and the distance. I am not really understanding where to start the measurement. Thanks a million.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:39 AM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by Saillfish
Please send me exactly where you measured your CG from on the leading edge and the distance. I am not really understanding where to start the measurement. Thanks a million.
The Cougar is hanging up. It's CG is based on quite a few flights from last summer. I'll measure the CG, which I have marked in sharpie, and let you know today.

Name:	F9F_Cougar.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2259284  
Old 03-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Pull Up Now!

The CG is 31" back from the nose.

Name:	Cougar CG.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2259354  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the nose gear doors included? Anyone have experience with the electric retracts and do they sequence those doors as well?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

The nose doors are included and they are mechanical. The nose retract open and closes the doors. Works very well. I know of 2 different retract controllers. One has the retract and brake control in one box and the other has separate retract and brake controllers. My cougar has the separate version.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 AM
Pull Up Now!

Default Nose gear doors

there is a mechanical door closing mechanism, but I found it wasn’t very precise and it didn’t line up with the retract well. I threw it out and came up with my own design.

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 05-22-2018 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Add video
Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
there is a mechanical door closing mechanism, but I found it wasn’t very precise and it didn’t line up with the retract well. I threw it out and came up with my own design.

https://youtu.be/B6lSjtG-cL4
Please post a few pictures up close of your door closing device. Is it a spring?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Saillfish

Default Have my Cougar completed. Had to add 6 Oz in the nose. She comes in at 20lbs.

Last edited by Saillfish; 05-23-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

Hey Saillfish,
Your Cougar looks great. Clean install. I will be using a KingTech K-85 in my Cougar as well. I was debating building a little bigger fuel tank but would prefer to use the stock tank if I can make it work. It would be so much easier and avoid me having to cut the ducting to accommodate a larger tank. The K-85 is a little thirsty and just concerned about the stock tank being just a hair too small but don’t know. What kind of flight time do you think will you be shooting for? I imagine most of the time I will be flying at 50-60% throttle.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:33 AM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by Jonboy2
Hey Saillfish,
Your Cougar looks great. Clean install. I will be using a KingTech K-85 in my Cougar as well. I was debating building a little bigger fuel tank but would prefer to use the stock tank if I can make it work. It would be so much easier and avoid me having to cut the ducting to accommodate a larger tank. The K-85 is a little thirsty and just concerned about the stock tank being just a hair too small but don’t know. What kind of flight time do you think will you be shooting for? I imagine most of the time I will be flying at 50-60% throttle.
Manual says 300 grams/10.6 Oz a minute WOT. I don't think I will be flying it wide open much at all. The tank is 72 Oz. With a hopper tank on the wing for taxi out and 10 Oz for reserve I believe I will safely get a 6 to upwards a 7 minute flight which amI totally good with. Keeps it fun and doesn't get boring.
The following users liked this post:
WI53072 (02-10-2022)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 AM
Jonboy2

Yea, 6 minutes is where I have my timer on all my jets. What retracts, wheels and brakes do you have installed in your Cougar Saillfish?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Jonboy2

Hey Pull Up Now,
Any chance you could post more detail on your front gear door closing mechanism? I would sure be interested in seeing what you have come up with as I am looking for a good alternative for the stock mechanism. Thanks. Jon
Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Saillfish

Yea, 6 minutes is where I have my timer on all my jets. What retracts, wheels and brakes do you have installed in your Cougar Saillfish?
I went with the robart electric with their brakes and wheels. They seem decent. I'd prefer pro link struts on the mains because the gear mounts in the plane look crappy and they could absorb so much more stress. Be very hard to beef them up cuz you really can't get to them.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:43 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Gear mounts need to be stiffened for sure. It's been the only problem on my son's plane. Funny the TopRC is a direct 100% copy of the skymaster all the way down to the crappy gear mounts.

we used 2 small air cylinders for nose doors. Never been an issue.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by gunradd
Gear mounts need to be stiffened for sure. It's been the only problem on my son's plane. Funny the TopRC is a direct 100% copy of the skymaster all the way down to the crappy gear mounts.

we used 2 small air cylinders for nose doors. Never been an issue.
Have you broke the mains out yet?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Saillfish

One other thing on this aircraft. The flaps suck. They don't close completely. They are warped. Nothing can really be done with them to fix it. Just have to trim them in flight. Also with the wrapping they can't be deployed even. We shall see. The glue isn't very good either. I went in with hysol and went over everything I could reach. The plywood is typical Chinese crap. Why can't they add a little more to the cost and use quality plywood and hysol brand glue. Advertise it with those things and we will be totally good with it.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:17 AM
gunradd

Have you broke the mains out yet?
Yes my son broke both of them over time. He has around 300 flights on his now. Really good flying plane. If you are building one new I would think some G10 hysoled on the backside of the gear plates would work well. Also where the wing attaches inside you can see a lightning hole in the wood. I used a dremel to remove the aircraft skin so you have some room for a hysol nozzle to fit in to repair the gear plates. When the wing is on it covers the small hole.

For your flap issue maybe try a heat gun and you should be able to straighten it.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Saillfish

Yes my son broke both of them over time. He has around 300 flights on his now. Really good flying plane. If you are building one new I would think some G10 hysoled on the backside of the gear plates would work well. Also where the wing attaches inside you can see a lightning hole in the wood. I used a dremel to remove the aircraft skin so you have some room for a hysol nozzle to fit in to repair the gear plates. When the wing is on it covers the small hole.

For your flap issue maybe try a heat gun and you should be able to straighten it.
Thanks for the info on the gear mounts. I tried the flaps with a heat gun. No luck. Stayed a few hrs and then went back. Do you have any down elevator mixed in with full flaps. Also do you have any crow in yours. Thanks
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 AM
gunradd

Thanks for the info on the gear mounts. I tried the flaps with a heat gun. No luck. Stayed a few hrs and then went back. Do you have any down elevator mixed in with full flaps. Also do you have any crow in yours. Thanks
I set it up with flight modes and my son flies it so not sure if it has down elevator or not since he flies it not me. Next time we go flying ill check. He flew it for a long time with a K45 and it did great so their is really no need for a big engine in this plane. He now has a K60 in it and for scale flying its pretty much perfect. He was able to take home 2nd place at topgun in the young guns class with the cougar.

My son and I at topgun with his cougar
Old 05-25-2018, 06:29 AM
MikePS

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i set it up with flight modes and my son flies it so not sure if it has down elevator or not since he flies it not me. Next time we go flying ill check. He flew it for a long time with a k45 and it did great so their is really no need for a big engine in this plane. He now has a k60 in it and for scale flying its pretty much perfect. He was able to take home 2nd place at topgun in the young guns class with the cougar.

my son and i at topgun with his cougar
great pic!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Pull Up Now!

Hey Pull Up Now,
Any chance you could post more detail on your front gear door closing mechanism? I would sure be interested in seeing what you have come up with as I am looking for a good alternative for the stock mechanism. Thanks. Jon
Did you see the video I posted showing the nose gear doors working?
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I set it up with flight modes and my son flies it so not sure if it has down elevator or not since he flies it not me. Next time we go flying ill check. He flew it for a long time with a K45 and it did great so their is really no need for a big engine in this plane. He now has a K60 in it and for scale flying its pretty much perfect. He was able to take home 2nd place at topgun in the young guns class with the cougar.

My son and I at topgun with his cougar
I need to make you some vinyl.

"My kid is an honor student at Top Gun High"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.