Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Too bad it's not like GM being too big to fail and get a Gov bailout. This now explains why the Monokote inventory was low.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM
savagerobbin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah g38

Should i OR Sent i..go for electronic ignition. On my Zenoah G38 Robbin the lbs will help hold the noes down on the 1/4 citabria yes or no ?and do i have to offset the eng. this is my first big plane

Last edited by savagerobbin; 01-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:26 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to start meltin those toothbrushs with acetone again! and save that tissue from the Christmass gifts !
Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The Zenoah magneto ignition system such as the one on your G38 is an extremely reliable and user friendly system however there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of ignition systems. First off the mag ignition is completely self serving and does not require additional battery power to run the engine but is quite heavy, however this can be advantageous in warbirds that need up front weight for balancing and short coupled models like Cubs. Electronic ignitions on the other hand weigh mere ounces but require onboard battery power for starting and running but offer extremely easy starting as opposed to a mag ignition. IMHO you really can't go too far wrong with either system so it's really what suits the particular model and you the end user best.

Gas engines will run the very same when mounted in any position, the choice is yours.

Last edited by karolh; 01-13-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:39 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well it is Snow, Snow, Snow and Snowing in East Texas. A rare event. Snow is sticking to the ground and coming down at a good rate. I got all my make ready chores done yesterday, except move my generator to the house in case of a power failure. I have my thermal overalls on and it is a good time to warm the shop and work on my KAOS. Next few days may be the coldest of the year. When is Summer coming???
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

We didn't get any snow but temps are in the mid single digits and the windchill will freeze an Eskimo. Weather guy said last night we would have a minimum of a 48 hour freeze. Still I'm glad I don't live back east they must really be suffering.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 AM
acdii

Have had nearly 3 days of snow here, but because it is so cold, the snow is very light, so not as much accumulation. Still enough to foul the roads. Gotta admit, the F150 4 Auto sure is a nice feature in this kind of weather, 4WD when needed, 2WD when not, and no input from me other than turning a knob when I start the truck.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Big improvement over the bad old days when you had to get out and manually lock the front hubs.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Back To Modeling. Zenoah are very reliable and they seem to run forever. I have several 38s & 26s some more than 10 years old and still running great.. The 38 with a spring starter is the way to go, It makes starting as snap. They are heavier than the new china engines but if you need weight for the nose, I think it is the best way to go.

Rich
Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Does Zenoah still offer the spring starter I don't remember seeing it?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I had trouble getting out of bed this morning. I was warm confortable and happy, because I took care of most things that needed doing yesterday when the temperatre was 60+ degrees, SO, for the next 48 hours I will not open my door cause I will not be going anywhere. only a emergency gets me outta here.

ETpilot , my son is in your area and he was telling me of the snow as I was reading your text, I got some sleet but no snow and that's too much. I just put my swet pants on and they sure feel good, even stopped my nose from running.

The only regret I have at the moment is my shop is on the second floor and I have to go outside to enter it so I won't be busting any balsa for a while.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-17-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Today and tomorrow are good days not to leave the house! Also great days for homemade chili!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by jwrich
Back To Modeling. Zenoah are very reliable and they seem to run forever. I have several 38s & 26s some more than 10 years old and still running great.. The 38 with a spring starter is the way to go, It makes starting as snap. They are heavier than the new china engines but if you need weight for the nose, I think it is the best way to go.

Rich
Many of the kits and plans where designed for the older engines. I noticed folks complaining of the need for nose weight with the new engines on the market, especially the warbirds.
I have several 1/4 scale semi kits and plans but will let them go because I realize I will not have the opportunity to build them and it's bugging me to let them go, so if any one is looking for plans etc. check with me!

Last edited by donnyman; 01-17-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:26 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This site has a very good selection of Zenoah engine accessories B & B Specialties, LLC - Engine Accessories

Rich
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by donnyman
Many of the kits and plans where designed for the older engines. I noticed folks complaining of the need for tail weight with the new engines on the market, especially the warbirds.
I have several 1/4 scale semi kits and plans but will let them go because I realize I will not have the opportunity to build them and it's bugging me to let them go, so if any one is looking for plans etc. check with me!
One of the things I have been considering is an A-26. I happen to have the canopies and turret for one, no cowls though. Pretty sure it is for an older non kit plane like Ziroli and the like. Hoping to add one to my collection after the B-25 and P-61 are done.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

My Bull-Nosed Junior 60!

I've built the battery box, and added the nose blocks and motor mounting plate. Further sanding will be required on the nose section and I still need to build the undercarriage and fit an undercarriage plate, but I'm getting there. The propeller is an 11x4 Airflow wooden propeller and is fitted just for show. I have an analogue ammeter and I intend to solder XT 60 terminals to it to check current consumption.

I have also tidied the bench a bit! Note the club trainers and sports models in the background.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior 60 Nose (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2251413  
Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

The Junior is progressing nicely!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 AM
donnyman

It appears the weather will be more moderate for the next week or so, and I intend to take advantage of it, There is a ton of work that needs doing around here and I am definitely not in the mood to fiddle with any of it.

Tomorrow and Saturday I will attend the swapmeet in Georgetown TX. maybe that will make me feel a bit better. the cold has gotten me down. broken pipes and all, The gray and cloudy sky isn't helping either.
I think what pushed me over the glumpy edge is a section of my water main is leaking, it has been repaired two times before and it is too cold to deal with at this time so I will have a flood to deal with when I can get to it,
I intend to replace ten to twenty feet of it when I do. and back fill with sandyloam soil, this clay soil expands and contracts too much and adds to my woes.

Let me apoligze now for the moaning and groaning but I gotta let it go or I'll explode!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

My brother in northern Oklahoma feels your pain. His water pump died for the second time. He has lines running underground to fill multiple stock tanks so the horses can stay watered but the lines are leaking so bad they keep burning out the pump. His plumber is going to run all new lines 30" deep. I'm glad its his bill not mine.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I had a 50 year-old leaking copper supply pipe replaced by alkathene when I lived in England with no further problems. Of course it does not get so cold in England as it does in the USA.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM
acdii

Fingers crossed that I have enough insulation on my water line to the barn that I had repaired in late October. Since the backfill was partially frozen, and would have a lot of gaps, I had the manure from the stalls brought over and dumped on top of the trench. So far, so good, and it has been very cold here with negative temps 3 weeks going. Horses are happy that they have fresh water again.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think its a case of we have had such mild winters for such a long time now we are paying for our good fortune!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Donny I feel your pain. Leaking pipes is bad enough in the Summer. Nasty with this cold weather. I had my ice maker line freeze. It has a short run in the attic. I kept going up there checking for leaks as the Sun warmed things up. Thankfully no leaks. This morning I kept running the ice maker water. Not as cold as yesterday but close to it. Yesterday I decided not to work in the shop. So I moved my wing jig and KAOS wing to the house. Just about have one side almost ready to come off the jig.

Looking forward to the warmer weather we will have this coming week.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Soldering has never been my strong point, perhaps that's why I've never really taken to electric power but over the last few days I've had to alter the terminals on the ammeter to take XT60 connectors and to put XT 60s on a couple of batteries I had skulling about. I had always been advised not to twist the bare ends of exposed wires together because oil from your finger tips could contaminate the wires and make soldering difficult. I hit on an answer to this. Use a piece of spare insulation, wrap that round the exposed end, then twist the wires together. Having had to solder up a total of four connectors, two on LiPos and two on the ammeter, my soldering skills have come on apace!

I spent a merry half hour yesterday testing the current consumption of the motor while using different propellers. With an i/c wooden 11x4 it drew 25 amps, with an electric 11x5.5 it drew about 28 amps and with a 12x6 it drew over 35 amps at full power. I even fitted a 10x6 electric three blader to it for a laugh, that drew 35 amps too! The photo shows the J60 carcass clamped to my Workmate and the motor throttled back a bit.

Unfortunately my hithertoo very reliable charger, a Vislero A6, now refuses to recognise a LiPo!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Propeller Testing.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2251539  
Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 PM
donnyman

It becomes time for every man to admit he just isn't what he used to be!...............my time has come and went, the water main break was being worked on by my handyman, while I attended a swapmeet which I will speak to shortly,
I assisted my handym with finding and ucovering the pipe but the elusive leak tokk some serious digging. please understand, this soil is black clay that I swear contains CA, it sticks to everything and when stepped on is like walking on grease, being wet as it was increased it's weight. but I did get the pipe cut and attempted to assemble it and for the like of me could not get it aligned enough to go together, so I cut a longer piece and started over but I was so tired from laying in the cold mud I couldn't do a thing I was so tired my whole body was shaking. so I called a younger friend and he got the job done for me. well you would think things would settle down but noooooooooooooooo! the mower I used to pull the tool cart battery went flat and luckely I had it charging from my motor home generator, when it finally got running it move about 100 feet and would not move another inch, mind you I am at least a 1000 feet from the house, so my daughter had to tow me and the mower home. (I have deleted much of what really happened because it would take to long to tell) bottom line is I am so sore.................

Now the swap meet! we were blessed by the state comptollers office because someone said we were not paying sales taxes, a lot of people had to fill out sales tax permits. they were there all day friday, It put a damper on the event
I am going back to bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.