Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel Engine FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:56 PM
picco21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Norvel Engine FAQ

dumb ? I took a lmh 116 heli on trade where can I get glow plugs or do they make a conversion for the heat sink head
Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM
psullivan

Hey everyone, my Norvel I think just has a bad plug, and for somereason my Galbreath head is leaking bad around the plug, Can I just use an AP plug on the norvel? I know it wont be as good but will it work?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 PM
thtoyman
My Feedback: (7)

yes is a conversion, you should get them a LHS. Or check the web site for the heli.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM
burtcs

All:

About a week ago I got two NIB Big Mig CL Startups. I finally got a chance to run them today. After the 100 turn & oil ritual I put them on the bench and started them up. Each ran 15% nitro, three head gaskets and a Norvel glow head and got about 4 onces of fuel each. They were run on 5.7-3 and 6-3 props. They are both comfortably doing 19.5k and I've seen them go to 21k. I suspect a bit more after more running. And I'll try Galbreath heads then too. I did have some problems with a tank and had to resort to a wedding bubble substitute but the startup tank is ok now.

Ultimatly I'll shoot for 8-4 or 8-5 props at about 9-10k , sort of hotrod texacos

for sport r/c work.

I'm still looking for two Norvel rc carbs.

regards - Steve B.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With all this talk about Norvel's, where is the best place to get a good deal on a new .074?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

With all this talk about Norvel's, where is the best place to get a good deal on a new .074?
IMHO, there is none!

Unless, you can run across one in a garage sale where the seller does not have an idea what they're currently bringing.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:32 AM
N1EDM

So, they're not available any more, I take it. Hmmm, better get some spare parts for the one that I already have then - I see that Sig still has them.

What are people's opinions on an OP Hornet -09? Or, is there something that will bolt in for the Norvel? I want to build up a Herr Engineering mini-SE.

Bob
Old 06-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Hmmm, better get some spare parts for the one that I already have then - I see that Sig still has them.
I wouldn't count on SIG having many parts available -- even though they list them on their web page, they likely don't have any in stock. Good luck!!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:13 PM
N1EDM

So, this is to say that the Norvel is no longer being sold or serviced here in the USA.

Has anyone got any recommended substitutes? Getting one that bolts in to the Norvel bolt pattern would be nice, if it's available.

Bob
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The Norvel .074's are gone. You can get them on ebay at really high prices ($100.00+), purchase Lite Machines .074 heli engines and try to convert them to plane use or you can go electric and be clean and happy. I don't have any experience with the AP .09 or a Thunder Tiger .07. If you get one you can tell us how it goes.

The Norvels made me think about 1/2a in a whole new light. I hated cox engines when I was a kid. The Norvels act much like a modern .40 size engine, even on 5% nitro

Steve B., I don't think your Norvel's will be happy at 8000 rpm. They are not timed to run at that rpm under load and may overheat. I am interested in how you do.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
N1EDM

Thanks for the update, Skypilot. I haven't been paying attention to them.

As it is, I have a Norvel .074 and a TT GP.07. The Norvel is in a home-brew glider and the TT is not being used in anything. maybe I'll replace the Norvel with the TT and then drop the Norvel into the Herr Mini-Somethin' Extra.

I've run both engines and the TT is not at all as strong as the Norvel. The TT is for glider assist and light duty. It just means that I will have to re-build the front end of my glider to take the TT GP-07 (narrower mounting dimensions).

I don't have any experience with the Hornet .09. I just happened to come across it on the TH website.

Bob
Old 06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

TH doesn't give a weight on the .09. I would like to know how much it weighs.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:06 AM
N1EDM

Good point....

Bob
Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

I've found that, for some reason, the Norvels actually tolerate a wide range of props. Here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af4dQNa60_w we have the .074 doing 11.7K on diesel on a Cox 8 X 4 prop. This IS on diesel though, so that may have something to do with it.

Here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRn5i6Knisw in a similar fashion, we have a dieselized, .06 doing 10.5K on the same prop, on diesel. No issues with idle and transition.

However, here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pN6-rgXEFk we have a glow .15 doing 10.5K on a Grish, Tornado, 10 X 4. No real issues with idle or transition or top end. Smooth and steady. Note that with the larger prop, we were not overcompressed as you might think we would be. Generally, when you put on a bigger prop, you need to retard ignition timing by reducing the compression ratio. Despite the larger prop, we saw benefit by increasing the CR. We've taken stock head buttons and shaved them down for similar gains on large props.

The Norvels somehow, manage to break all the rules.

The LiteMachines Norvel .074s have some neat, desirable features. Short block with brass bushings on both ends of the crank. However, for some inexplicable reason, they don't throttle as well as stock, .074s even with the addition of a throttle with an adjustable airbleed. They DO throttle very well with LM's exhaust throttle. Why all this is so will be looked into in due course. The upside is that you can get new piston and cylinders from LM by buying the whole engine at the same price as a PL set. That is, if they have any left.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:33 PM
N1EDM

I really liked the Norvel's. I'm sorry to see them disappear from the USA.... but I do have to say that one should not stick one's finger into the prop of one of those beasts when running an SPC prop. Absolutely perfect lacerations (I didn't blunt the edges with sandpaper like I should have). If I had had a wood prop on there, my fingers would have only been bludgened instead of lacerated :-D

Hopefully my LHS will have one left over in his stock for me. I'll find out tomorrow. yeah, I liked the Norvel - and also learned to respect it as well

Bob
Old 06-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Sergei

Sorry for a beginner question -
I have BigMig 0.061 with standard glow plug and head (I think it is called Freedom something) -
now I lost my glow plug clip for it and local shop does not have them.

1)Are they the same as Cox Black Widow ones?

2)Anyone knows where I can find them online (preferrably UK but not mandatory).

Thanks!!!
Sergei
Glasgow UK

Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sergei, I don't know if you can get these in the UK, but they always work great for me. I like them because they simply attach to your standard Ni-Starter:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWL9&P=7

David
Old 06-30-2007, 08:15 PM
N1EDM

I've got a question on my Norvel 074. I have a 7x4 prop on it, running 20% nitro. I have it in a home-brew powered glider with about a 56" wingspan. This engine does not want to pull that airplane up at all. I can barely keep it in the air, never mind climbing. The head has 2 head gaskets underneath.

I've had the engine since it was new and it was broken in per the manufacturer's specs.

Some of the questions that I have are:
1. Is a 7x4 too much prop (I don't think so).
2. Is 20% nitro good enough for the engine? Or is that insufficient?
3. What if I took out one of the gaskets? Would that make a significant difference?
4. What if I switched to 33% nitro fuel?

Any other suggestions?

Bob
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Like N1EDM, I too have a couple of questions on the NOrvel .074. I picked one up yesterday in a swap meet with a beautiful little plane, ready to fly, for $60. Got it running today and notice bubbles from around the glow plug retainer. After removal, I see that the glow plug is pretty bad off, the copper shims are in rough shape, etc. Mine is the new style Norvel with the screwed on carb. After reading through these posts I noticed there are very few answers as to where to find common parts for these. I am in need of a glow plug for it and shims. What is the correct glow plug and who sells them? Also in need of a plug wrench. Thanks !
Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
burtcs

happypappy:

Nice buy if the engine works as it should. The glow head gaskets are Cox items, one with every glow head. As far as plugs go they ceasted existing when the engines died. You can find them at swap meets and some dealers may still have a few in stock. Having said that I would advise you to consider a glow head and plug by Galbreath and Nelson though some swear by a glow head set up for turbo plugs. I like the galbreath/nelson set up myself, it works well and it's cheap (as in low cost). They are availible through Kitting it Together or Doug Galbreath.

Given my ill fortune with the 074, ill say no more, but I like the 061's.

- Steve B.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
happypappy

Will the Galbreath conversion for the .049 anbd .061 work on the .074? I see nothing listed for the .074. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: happypappy

Will the Galbreath conversion for the .049 anbd .061 work on the .074?
No -- the cylinder diameters are different. Check out http://www.hypercolor.biz/index.html Tim Wiltse, one of the posters here, makes turboplug heads for the .074
Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 AM
timmy45140
My Feedback: (20)

I have 2 brand new glow plugs new in package if your interested? I'm sure you can also get parts from HobbyPeople.com for the AP hornet(Norvel Clone). Among other part you fellow Norvel owners may need.

[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/212050.asp]AP hornet glow plug[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/part/211280.asp]Ap hornet parts[/link]
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
happypappy

Thought I replied to this a few days ago and apparently it didnt go through. Am interested in the plugs if they are direct replacements. Thanks~!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
happypappy

Thought I replied to this a few days ago and apparently it didnt go through. Am interested in the plugs if they are direct replacements. Thanks~!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.